The Australian government has added the Social Worker occupation (ANZSCO 272511) to its Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List (PMSOL), which will allow sponsored skilled immigrants to travel to Australia and fill crucial gaps in the country’s critical sectors.
In the new update, Social Workers have been identified as an essential occupation in need of skilled immigrants to fill vacancies left by a lack of qualified local workers in Australia.
Employers in Australia will now be able to nominate skilled foreign individuals for the Social Worker occupation with the Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) visa (subclass 186), Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) visa (subclass 187), Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457), Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482) and the Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 494).
After the new update, Australia’s PMSOL currently includes the following occupations:
- Chief Executive or Managing Director (ANZSCO 111111)
- Construction Project Manager (ANZSCO 133111)
- Mechanical Engineer (ANZSCO 233512)
- General Practitioner (ANZSCO 253111)
- Resident Medical Officer (ANZSCO 253112)
- Psychiatrist (ANZSCO 253411)
- Medical Practitioner NEC (ANZSCO 253999)
- Midwife (ANZSCO 254111)
- Registered Nurse (Aged Care) (ANZSCO 254412)
- Registered Nurse (Critical Care and Emergency) (ANZSCO 254415)
- Registered Nurse (Medical) (ANZSCO 254418)
- Registered Nurse (Mental Health) (ANZSCO 254422)
- Registered Nurse (Perioperative) (ANZSCO 254423)
- Registered Nurses NEC (ANZSCO 254499)
- Developer Programmer (ANZSCO 261312)
- Software Engineer (ANZSCO 261313)
- Social Worker (ANZSCO 272511)
- Maintenance Planner (ANZSCO 312911)
All occupations on the PMSOL were selected based on expert advice from Australia’s National Skills Commission as well as after consultation with Commonwealth departments.
Sponsored applicants for any of the PMSOL occupations can request an exemption from Australia’s travel ban to move to Australia as a skilled immigrant and must self-isolate for 14 days on arrival.