Finished with your studies? Extend stay in Australia !

extend stay in Australia

Finished with your studies? Extend stay in Australia !

June 18, 2018 Being the beautiful country it is, Australia provides international students plenty of opportunities to extend their stay after finishing their studies. While most students prefer to work and build their careers in Australia, many choose to travel and enjoy life in the outback. Here we take a look at some of the ways in which international students can extend stay in Australia:

Gaining professional work experience

Graduates of engineering, accounting, and computer science disciplines can complete a Professional Year Program, which is a structured 12-month program designed to provide the graduates with study and work experience in order for them to develop industry-specific skills. This is an ideal program for those who are looking to extend their stay in Australia, as completing it will add an extra five points to the skilled migrant visa points test, and further boost their chances of getting permanent residency.

Developing skills

International students can extend their stay in Australia by up to 18 months after completing their studies through the Department of Immigration and Border Protection’s Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485). This allows them to travel, gain work experience or improve their English language skills, and is a very good option for those who are looking to remain in Australia and work towards getting a permanent residency.

The post-study work stream of this visa allows international students pursuing bachelors, masters or doctoral degrees to remain in Australia and gain practical work experience after graduating. Bachelors and masters students can apply for a two-year work visa after the completion of the degree, while masters by research graduates are eligible for a three-year visa. PhD graduates can apply for a four-year work visa.

Continuing to work for the current employer

International students who are currently employed, and wish to continue working with their employers, can live and work in Australia for the duration of working under that employer by applying for the Department of Immigration and Border Protection’s Employer Nomination Scheme. However, as the name suggests, the employer must be willing to sponsor the applicant – either temporarily or permanently.

Attending the graduation ceremony

The graduation ceremony is the final chapter in finishing studies overseas, and international students can stay back with a Tourist Visa from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection to extend their stay in order to attend their Australian graduation ceremony.

Taking a working holiday

Applicants aged between 18 and 30 from approved countries can apply for a Working Holiday Visa or a Work and Holiday Visa from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection. This allows them to work and travel in Australia for up to 12 months.


Finally, many international students decide to take a break after finishing their studies before making their next move. Being the large, beautiful and diverse country that it is, the land Down Under is a wonderful province for exploring and traveling. Applying for a Tourist Visa will grant an extended stay in Australia for a period of up to 12 months.

Take your pick from the list above, and choose your next step after finishing your studies in Australia!

Interested in migrating to Australia?

  • Visit (Mobile version) or (Desktop version) for online Eligibility Assessment
  • Send Resume to for Eligibility Assessment
  • Get into any of our offices with an updated Resume

[Source: eduaid NewsDesk]