Who is this visa for?
The Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143) is a permanent visa. It lets the parents of a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia permanently.
How do I apply?
To be granted this visa, you must:
- Have a child who is a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen.
- Be sponsored by your child, who is 18 or older.
- Obtain an Assurance of Support.
- Meet the health and character requirements.
- Have repaid or arranged to repay any outstanding debts you might have to the Australian government.
Are there any other conditions?
Sponsors can sponsor more than one parent for this visa.
Before you apply for this visa, you could apply for the Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173). Although it will cost more, the costs will be spread out over a longer period of time.
Your visa application might be rejected if you had a visa previously cancelled or refused in Australia.
What is the application process?
You need to have a valid passport in order to be granted this visa. You can lodge your application from either within Australia, or from outside.
- If you hold a Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173), you need to complete Form 47PT – Application for Migration to Australia by a Contributory Parent (Temporary) or Contributory Aged Paren(Temporary) visa holder.
- If you do not hold a Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173), you need to complete Form 47PA – Application for a Parent to Migrate to Australia.
- Your sponsor needs to complete Form 40 – Sponsorship for Migration to Australia.
You can send your application by post or courier to the Perth office in Western Australia.
For any kind of assistance regarding lodging your visa application, enlist the help of eduaid – the immigration specialists you can consult.
What are the features and benefits of this visa?
This is a permanent visa, and let you:
- Stay in Australia indefinitely.
- Work and study in Australia.
- Enjoy the benefits of Medicare – Australia’s national scheme for health-related care and expenses.
- Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence in Australia.
- Travel to and from Australia as you please for five years from the day your visa is granted.
- Apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible.
- Include your partner and your or your partner’s child or step-child in your visa application.
Your family members who are granted this visa will be able to enjoy the same benefits as you under this visa, and will have the same rights and obligations.