Partner (Provisional and Migrant) Visa (309/100) - eduaid

Partner (Provisional and Migrant) Visa (309/100)


Partner (Provisional and Migrant) Visa (309/100)

Who is this visa for?

These Partner visas are applicable for the partners or spouses of Australian citizens, permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens. These visas grant the partners or spouses residence in Australia.

How do I get this visa?

To get either of these visas:

  •  You must be married or in a de facto relationship with an Australian permanent resident, an Australian citizen, or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
  •  You must be 18 or older at the time of your marriage.
  •  You must have parental permission for your marriage if you are 16 or 17 years of age.
  •  You must have been in a de facto relationship for at least 12 months.
  •  If you are a de facto partner, you must be at least 18 years old when you apply.
  •  You must meet the Australian government’s health and character requirements.
  •  You must have repaid, or arranged to repay, any outstanding debts you might have to the Australian government.

Are there any other conditions?

  •  You must be outside Australia when you lodge your visa application for the temporary Partner visa (subclass 309).
  •  You can be either in or outside Australia when a decision is made on the permanent Partner visa (subclass 100).
  •  You must comply with Australian laws and all visa conditions whilst on your temporary visa.

What is the application process?

The temporary Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309) is granted first, and lets you stay in Australia until you get a decision on your permanent Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 100) application. You need to hold a valid passport, and be outside Australia when initially lodging your visa application. Contact eduaid for more on this.

What are the features and benefits of this visa?

The temporary Partner visa (subclass 309) lets you:

  •  Stay in Australia until a decision is made on your permanent Partner visa (subclass 100).
  •  Study and work in Australia.
  •  Travel outside Australia however many times you want.
  •  Enrol in Australia’s national health scheme, Medicare.
  •  Access more than 500 hours of English Language tuition provided by the Adult Migrant English Program, for free.

The permanent Partner visa (subclass 100) lets you:

  •  Stay in Australia indefinitely.
  •  Work and study in Australia.
  •  Enjoy all the benefits of Medicare.
  •  Receive some social security payments.
  •  Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence in Australia.
  •  Travel outside Australia as you please for five years from the date your visa is granted.
  •  Apply for Australian citizenship if you are eligible.