Who is this visa for?
The Temporary Sponsored Parent visa is applicable for parents (either biological or adoptive) of Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents, and eligible New Zealand citizens. This visa allows eligible Australians to sponsor their parents to live in Australia for up to five years.
How can I apply for this visa?
To be granted the Temporary Sponsored Parent visa, you must:
- Have your child, who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen, approved as a sponsor.
- Meet the necessary identity, health and character requirements.
- Not have any outstanding public health debts in Australia.
- Hold and maintain health insurance from an Australian provider, valid for the period of stay in Australia.
Are there any other conditions?
A step-parent can apply for this visa only if they are still married or in a de facto relationship with a biological parent of the Australian citizen or permanent resident who will sponsor. Only one set of parents per household can be sponsored for this visa at a time.
Also, you can apply for this visa more than once, but the maximum stay is 10 years in total.
What is the application process?
The visa application process is subject to the Migration Amendment (Family Violence and Other Measures) Bill 2016 being passed through Parliament. Contact eduaid for more information on this.
What are the features and benefits of this visa?
- This visa, once granted, can have two different validity periods – either three or five years.
- There is no English Language requirement.
- You can undertake short term, informal study while on this visa.